Introduction to the irritable bowel syndrome and also discusses the symptoms of this common condition and is for patients and the public.
This video will attempt to answer the following QUESTIONS;
What are the common symptoms in IBS ?
Who is at increased risk of IBS ?
Are there any other medical conditions that are associated with IBS ?
• IBS , in this presentation, means the Irritable Bowel Syndrome
• Bowel means the large intestines
• Bowel habit means how many times a person has bowel movements.
• Diarrhoea is the passage of three or more loose or liquid stools per day .
• Constipation is said to occur when a person opens their bowels less than 3 times per week
• A functional disorder is a medical condition that impairs normal functioning of bodily processes that remains largely undetected under examination, investigations or even under a microscope.
IBS is a functional disorder with chronic abdominal pain and altered bowel. The three main types are IBS with diarrhea , IBS with constipation and IBS with mixed diarrhea and constipation.
Patients with IBS have a normal life expectancy . However
it may affect the quality of life.
It is the first in the series of four videos. The videos are easy to understand and tries to use everyday language as far as possible. The videos are full of images and follow a standard format of topic objective, word index, content and summary. Each topic covers diagnosis, investigation, management and prevention. Videos are an average of between 5 to 10 minutes. I created the videos, using my over 30 years of experience in managing patients with gut and liver problems . I am a gastroenterologist and hepatologist and was trained in Edinburgh, United Kingdom, and Tokyo and have worked in academia and the private sector.
As the adage goes “A picture is worth a thousand words”. I believe combining images and explanations using blackboards, helps one better understand a medical condition. With knowledge, a person gets a better sense of control, and hence is empowered to make informed decisions.