HEARTBURN, ACID REFLUX, REGURGITATION,GERD : This video in simple language discusses heartburn, acid reflux and regurgitation and, and other symptoms of acid reflux or Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease or GERD and is for patients and the public.
This video will attempt to answer the following QUESTIONS;
What is acid reflux ?
What are two typical symptoms of acid reflux ?
What are the atypical symptoms of acid reflux?
• Esophagus is the a hollow tube that connects the mouth to the stomach and is about 8 – 10 inches long.
• Acid reflux is the backflow of acid from the stomach to the esophagus.
• Sphincter of the lower esophagus is a circular muscle located at the opening between the esophagus and the stomach. It is normally contracted and closes the opening. It only relaxes when we swallow liquids or food.
• Typical symptoms usually occur only in acid reflux.
• Atypical symptoms can occur in acid reflux as well as other medical conditions.
• Home remedy are over the counter medicines together with diet and life style changes.
The most common symptoms of acid reflux are heart burn and regurgitation . Acid reflux could also present with atypical symptoms.
It is the first in the series of seven videos on acid reflux. The videos are easy to understand and tries to use everyday language as far as possible. The videos are full of images and follow a standard format of topic objective, word index, content and summary. Each topic covers diagnosis, investigation, management and prevention. Videos are an average of between 5 to 10 minutes. I created the videos, using my over 30 years of experience in managing patients with gut and liver problems . I am a gastroenterologist and hepatologist and was trained in Edinburgh , United Kingdom, and Tokyo and have worked in academia and the private sector.
As the adage goes “A picture is worth a thousand words”. I believe combining images and explanations using blackboards, helps one better understand a medical condition. With knowledge, a person gets a better sense of control, and hence is empowered to make informed decisions.