Treatment or management of heartburn, GERD or acid reflux, using diet , food, and life style changes and is for patients and the public.
This video will attempt to answer the following QUESTIONS;
What is ‘home remedy ’ in acid reflux ?
What are the diet and life style changes that might help acid reflux ?
• Oesophagus is the a hollow tube that connects the mouth to the stomach and is about 8 – 10 inches long.
• Acid reflux is the back flow of acid from the stomach to the oesophagus.
• Typical symptoms usually occur only in acid reflux.
• Atypical symptoms can occur in acid reflux as well as other medical conditions.
• Home remedy are over the counter medicines together with diet and life style changes.
• Alarm symptoms are suggestive of a more serious underlying medical condition.
• Barrett’s oesophagus are precancerous changes that occur in the lower oesophagus after many years of acid reflux.
Those with mild and infrequent acid reflux and without atypical symptoms can try ‘home remedy’ with diet and life style changes . Diet includes the types of foods that trigger acid reflux and hence are best avoided. Also the importance of lifestyle modifications to treat acid reflux.
It is the second in the series of seven videos on acid reflux. The videos are easy to understand and tries to use everyday language as far as possible. The videos are full of images and follow a standard format of topic objective, word index, content and summary. Each topic covers diagnosis, investigation, management and prevention. Videos are an average of between 5 to 10 minutes. I created the videos, using my over 30 years of experience in managing patients with gut and liver problems . I am a gastroenterologist and hepatologist and was trained in Edinburgh and Tokyo and have worked in academia and the private sector.
As the adage goes “A picture is worth a thousand words”. I believe combining images and explanations using blackboards, helps one better understand a medical condition. With knowledge, a person gets a better sense of control, and hence is empowered to make informed decisions.