Discusses the common causes of chronic diarrhoea and is for patients and the public . It is the first in the series of two videos on chronic diarrhoea.
This video will attempt to answer the following QUESTIONS;
• What are the common causes of chronic diarrhoea ?
• What are some less common causes of chronic diarrhoea ?
• Chronic diarrhoea is loose stools with an increase in bowel frequency for a period of 4 weeks or longer.
• Colon is the large intestine.
• Terminal ileum is the last part of the small intestine.
• Food intolerance is difficulty in digesting food and is not due to allergy.
• Malabsorption is a condition where nutrients cannot be properly absorbed by the small intestine
• Gluten is a protein found in wheat , barley and rye.
• Bile acid is produced by the liver and is found in bile. It is important for the digestion of fat and fat soluble vitamins.
• Toxin is a poison which originates from living organisms, like bacteria, plants and animals.
The common causes of chronic diarrhea are irritable bowel syndrome, food intolerance, bile acid malabsorption, inflammatory bowel disease , infections , microscopic colitis , drugs and gluten sensitivity
The videos are easy to understand and tries to use everyday language as far as possible. The videos are full of images and follow a standard format of topic objective, word index, content and summary. Each topic covers diagnosis, investigation, management and prevention. Videos are an average of between 5 to 10 minutes. I created the videos, using my
over 30 years of experience in managing patients with gut and liver problems . I am a gastroenterologist and hepatologist and was trained in Edinburgh and Tokyo and have worked in academia and the private sector.
As the adage goes “A picture is worth a thousand words”. I believe combining images and explanations using blackboards, helps one better understand a medical condition. With knowledge, a person gets a better sense of control, and hence is empowered to make informed decisions.